I am in love with HGTV. It's true. If Garrett and I had cable, then I would probably have an addiction. When we go to my parents house to watch football or basketball games, I will camp out in the back room for hours watching whatever HGTV has to offer:
House Hunters, Design on a Dime, Curb Appeal, etc. You name it, and I've probably seen it.
Recently, I discovered that HGTV and the DIY Network have full episodes on Hulu (our only source to the outside TV world) for free. Imagine my excitement when I saw that I can watch season after season of
House Hunters International dreaming of the villa that I'll have in Italy one day!
Watching HGTV makes me feel like I have the ability to make my house look like something out of an episode of
Dear Genevieve. When I'm done with an HGTV marathon, I am the next
Design Star.
---Those that have no idea what I'm referring to, shame on you for not knowing more about the wonderful world of the Home and Garden Network!---
Still on my high, I walk into my house thinking, "What's this room's
Hidden Potential?" In fact, moments ago I finished watching the latest episode of
Wasted Spaces (from the DIY network, which is essentially HGTV), and I looked around my house wondering if I too had any space that is wasted that could be filled with a built-in something or another. This show is my latest obsession (ok, there I admit it). Though the host is a bit annoying, the show itself is awesome! The host, Carl (he's Australian, so it's really more like Kaal), shows people how to build amazing shelving units and storage spaces within nooks and crannies throughout their house. Wonderful.
 |
| This is Carl. Does he look Australian? |
So now you're probably thinking, "Brooke must have a beautifully decorated home, with all the design shows she has watched and learned from." Well my friend, you'd be mostly wrong. My house is beautiful, but it is not beautifully decorated; it is rather plain. I am one of those people who has no idea how to practically apply the design knowledge I have stored in my brain. I can tell you how to build a closet between two dormers, but I cannot arrange and accessorize my living room so that it looks warm, inviting, and put together. My sister gets frustrated with me because rather than try a bunch of things, I just do nothing. You see there are a couple of other things holding me back, I'm cheap. I know there are ways to get around the money, but I am a bit lazy too. When it comes down to going to Starbucks and hanging out or working all afternoon shopping for and designing my living room, I'll go for the Starbucks every time. I guess this means I don't actually want my living room to be the things I say I want because "you do what you want to do and don't do what you don't want to do." It's probably a good thing that I'm moving into an apartment that I can't change. I'll get the design itch though; I know it. I'll be at home one evening and start to dream about a way to make my little kitchen more "me." That'll involve a trip to Hobby Lobby where I'll walk around and won't buy anything. Don't fret though, I'll catch up with my mind one day, or I'll leave the design dreams behind and be content with what I have. I'm not worried.
No comments:
Post a Comment